Types of Roofing Scams & How to Avoid Them
With the recent storms that have past through Highlands Ranch, Castle Rock and Parker be aware of contractors going door to door. Roofing scams are a frequent, significant issue that every homeowner should be aware of. These scams can result in consequential financial losses and structural damage.
Types of Scams
- Storm Chaser Scammers
- Fake Damage Claims
- Unbelievably Good Offers
- Insurance Fraud
Tips on Avoiding Them
- Consult your Broker:
- When approached by a roofing company advising you of any damage, call your Broker immediately to assess the inspection report and whether or not it makes sense to report a claim.
- Don’t rush into anything:
- Take your time, ask to see references from previous work, check the status of their roofer’s license, and visit the Better Business Bureau.
- Do your research:
- Get quotes from a few different companies to understand their pricing and industry standards.
- Listen carefully to what is being offered:
- If a contractor offers incentives at no cost to you, these can be signs of insurance fraud.
- Don’t be afraid to say no:
- You are not obligated to sign a contract. If you feel unsure at anytime about the credibility of the offerings, ask the contractor to leave.